Responsive Representation When You Need It Most

Child Support Frequently Asked Questions

Making sure your child is financially supported is crucial. You can get the answers you need at the Law Office of John M. Schaffranek, PLLC. Since 2013, we have represented clients throughout Pennsylvania who were unable to resolve disputes on their own, and we have built a reputation for being compassionate, efficient and professional.

After reading through the list of frequently asked questions below, it is important that we discuss the specifics of your case. Call our office in Wexford at 412-643-3848 to schedule a consultation today. You can also email us here.

How Does The Court Decide How Much Child Support Is Owed?

Child support amounts are controlled by the Pennsylvania Support Guidelines. The guidelines state that children should receive the same proportion of parental income as if the parents were still married. They will look at the needs of the child as well as the ability of each parent to provide payment. They also investigate the net incomes and earning capacities of both parents.

I Don’t Agree With What The Court Decided. What Can I Do?

We can help you appeal a child support decision you disagree with. Generally, action has to be taken within twenty days of the order or your right to appeal is lost. If you have received a child support order you disagree with, you should act quickly and contact us for a consultation to consider your next step. We will always fight for our clients and what they think is right.

My Child Support Arrangement Was Made Years Ago. Is It Possible To Modify It?

Yes. Whether the needs of your child have changed or your financial situation is no longer the same, it is always possible to modify your existing order. In order to accomplish this, we must show why it has to be updated. In cases where the other parent agrees to the change, you do not need to go in front of a judge. The same is true for custody-related matters.

How Long Am I Expected To Pay Child Support?

Every case is different. It can be a temporary order or a permanent one. In general, both parents are legally obligated to financially support their child until they are 18 and considered an adult. Having an attorney who understands family law is the best way to navigate these cases.